Plough Boys have close ties to Stedman

John Culbreth Blocker (1811-1890) along with his wife, Julia Ann Braddy (1815-1891) settled in eastern Cumberland County in 1841.  There he built a stagecoach house and a post office.  The area became known as Blockersville (later incorporated as the Town of Stedman).   John and Julia raised three children:  Octavius Harvey Blocker (1840-1905), Charles Henry Blocker (1842-1911), and Francis Eugene Blocker (1850-1883).

The Cumberland Plough Boys were organized on June 1, 1861 at Bethany Crossroads, which is 3 miles northwest of Stedman.  The Plough Boys totally comprised of a group of farmers were originally known as the 14th North Carolina Volunteers, but the unit’s designation was later changed to the 24th North Carolina Troops, Company F.  The Company’s first Commander was Captain Charles Henry Blocker.  His brother, Octavius was a 1st Sergeant, but was quickly promoted to 2nd Lieutenant.  The Blockers were the original inhabitants of the area we know as Stedman.

Charles Henry Blocker remained Captain of the Plough Boys until May of 1862 when he transferred to the Staff of Colonel Lamb at Fort Fisher with the 36th North Carolina.  In January 1865, he was captured at Fort Fisher and confined at Fort Columbus in New York Harbor.  On March 5, 1865 he was paroled.   Charles Blocker married Sally Cromwell, and they raised 13 children.  Before 1900, they moved to St. Petersburg, Florida.

Octavius Harvey Blocker remained with the Plough Boys until February 15, 1862 when he was appointed Captain of the 36th North Carolina, 2nd Company C.  This company was stationed at Fort Fisher.  Due to illness, Octavius had to resign his commission in August, 1862.  Octavius married Susan Moore.  They moved to Old Fort, North Carolina.

The town of Stedman incorporated many years after the Blockers left the area.  However, the town’s roots can be traced back to the leaders of the Cumberland Plough Boys.


Charles Henry Blocker

Charles Henry Blocker
December 13, 1842 – March 28, 1911

1860 Residence: Cumberland County, NC

Military Record
July 18, 1861 – Appointed Captain
24th North Carolina Regiment, Company F
May 8, 1862 – Defeated for Re-Election
May 20, 1862 – Appointed Captain, Assistant Commissary of Subsistence
36th North Carolina Regiment, Field & Staff
also known as 2nd North Carolina Artillery, Field & Staff
August 1864 – Dropped by act of Congress when he was not re-appointed
Remained on Colonel Lamb’s staff as Aide-de-Camp
January 15, 1865 – Captured at Fort Fisher
Confined at Fort Columbus, New York Harbor
March 5, 1865 – Paroled & Exchanged at Boulware’s Wharf, James River, VA

John Culbreth Blocker 1811-1890
Julia Ann Braddy 1815-1891

Octavius Harvey Blocker 1840-1905     24th NC, Co F
Francis Eugene Blocker 1850-1893

Sallie Ann Cromwell 1844-1911

John Cromwell Blocker 1864-1928
William Coffield Blocker 1866-1867
Anne Blocker 1867-1919
Margaret Louisa Blocker 1869-1891
Edward Lee Blocker 1870-1934
Albert Tusten Blocker 1872-1927
Elisha Cromwell Blocker 1874-1875
Elizabeth Southern Blocker 1876-1932
Sallie May Blocker 1878-1897
Emma King Blocker 1880-1880
Harvey DePass Blocker 1881-1901
Walter Bishop Blocker 1883-1901
Charles Strout Blocker 1886-1891

Royal Palm South Cemetery
St. Petersburg, Florida